Journal History

DIE ERDE – Journal of the Geographical Society of Berlin is the world's longest-running of the existing scientific journals in Geography. The journal was started as "Zeitschrift für Allgemeine Erdkunde" (Journal for General Geography) in 1853; before, there were "Jährliche Übersicht der Thätigkeit der Gesellschaft für Erdkunde zu Berlin" (1833-1839) and "Monatsberichte über die Verhandlungen der Gesellschaft für Erdkunde zu Berlin"  (1840-1852). During the Second World War the journal's last volume appeared in 1944 and publication was interrupted until 1949 when the Geographical Society of Berlin was re-founded and the journal re-established, under the new title "DIE ERDE – Zeitschrift der Gesellschaft für Erdkunde zu Berlin", where ERDE means EARTH. In order to be read by readers all over the world, since the turn of the century DIE ERDE has essentially been published in English.